- University Project and Master’s Thesis
- 2 years development time
- Implemented using Unity3D and Vuforia
- Also released in this paper: https://dl.gi.de/handle/20.500.12116/33433
I started developing AR-Escape in 2018 in a team of three people. It was then continued in 2019 in another team of four persons and finalized in my Master’s Thesis. AR-Escape is an Escape The Room game with the addition of Augmented Reality (AR). It is played on a tablet or smartphone (Android).
Similar to classical Escape Rooms, players have one hour to solve all the puzzles in order to win the game. They are hidden behind printed 2D images. Once scanned and tracked, the augmented image appears on the device and the puzzle can be interacted with.
There are several kinds of puzzles:
- Simpler puzzles with riddles or math equations that only require finding a solution to be put in.
- Interactive puzzles in which the players have to directly press objects or other things on the touchscreen to solve the puzzle.
On the left: The marker, which is used in the real-world | On the right: The virtual image rendered over the marker.
Additionally, a multiplayer version was implemented. Two or more devices can be connected to a server (developed by the chair this project was developed for). Afterwards, puzzles are synchronized and the game can be solved together with two instances at once.
Alternatively, the game can be played in a competitive form, in which two teams are locked in their own rooms. The team that escapes first wins. They can also sabotage the other team with ingame methods.
More examples. In the third image, the shown numbers change depending on the device’s angle in relation to the marker.
- In the first team, I implemented the puzzles and their mechanics behind them.
- In the second team, I was responsible for the networking system. This also includes synchronizing devices. As I had the most knowledge of the game, I also did more administrative work, e.g. help out my colleagues and assign tasks.
- For the Master’s thesis, I finalized the program, fixed many bugs and also implemented a shop system, in which players receive gold for advancing the game, which can be used for buffs or sabotaging the enemy team. In addition to the cooperative game mode, I implemented a competitive version, where two teams play against each other.. I also implemented the tracking and augmenting of real 3D printed objects.
- 31 people tested the game’s different multiplayer modi. Their data was taken, evaluated, and compared using F-Tests and T-Tests.